Dependent Types

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 18:04:51 +0100

> I think you're running into a well-known(*) problem with Hugs's
> implementation of the monomorphism restriction.
>
> (*) actually I thought this was a well-known problem, but it doesn't
> seem to be mentioned in the Hugs documentation as far as I can see.

Here's a bit of background I managed to dig up:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell@haskell.org/msg05160.html

It appears that a change to the monomorphism restriction to match Hugs's
behaviour was considered for Haskell 98, but it looks like it never made
it into the report (for what reason I'm not sure - the arguments in
favour of the change look fairly compelling).

Cheers,
	Simon