A Cygwin port of hmake?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:20:44 +0000

Antony,

> But unfortunately the Makefile.inc used to build hmake does some tricky
> $(PWD) shenanigans that have nothing to do with configure, and then
> passes the resulting path to ghc.  Unfortunately, $(PWD) returns
> Cygwin-style paths, and I failed to find a good workaround for this in
> the few minutes I spent looking at it.

David Duke recently reported that the hmake distributed with
nhc98-1.10 builds correctly with ghc-5.02.2 under Cygwin, but the
separate distribution of hmake-3.01 does not.  This was very puzzling,
but your mention of $(PWD) rings a bell as to what the difference
between them might be.  The working distribution uses $(shell pwd)
in its Makefiles instead of $(PWD).

I recently changed all instances of the former to the latter because I
couldn't see any reason why we should fork off lots of shell processes
just to find the current directory, when that information is instantly
available in a variable.  It seems that the slight performance hit
entailed by the shell calls is a necessary evil in order to cope with
Cygwin, so I'll change them back again.

Apologies for the inconvenience I have caused you by introducing this
simple "improvement".  It looked benign at the time!

Regards,
    Malcolm