A Cygwin port of hmake?

Antony Courtney antony@apocalypse.org
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:40:55 -0500

Claus Reinke wrote:
>>Has anyone attempted / considered porting hmake to Cygwin?
>>
>>I'd like to try HaXmL under ghc on Windows, but it seems to require
>>hmake to build.
>>

> Just curious: is that the HaXmL in hslibs.Text that comes with ghc?
> Aren't hslibs thingies supposed to be portable (and ported/updated,
> if they come with a Haskell implementation)?

Indeed it is.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that '-package text'
was all I needed to use HaXmL.

>>I made a naieve attempt to configure and build hmake under Cygwin
>>myself, but the resulting Makefile tried to pass Cygwin-style
>>/cygdrive/c/... paths to ghc, which promptly choked.
>>

> I'm no expert on configure, but who exactly is putting the /cygdrive/c/..
> stuff in there? Cygwin should use its pretended filesystem, or indeed
> local paths, so perhaps someone is explicitly setting an absolute path
> or path-prefix. Can you configure with c:/ instead (I understand that
> ghc only chokes on cygwin specials, not on Windows-infelicities or
> local paths, and some cygwin tools are tolerant towards c:/.. style),
> perhaps by setting appropriate prefixes? I seem to remember that
> compiling HOpenGL with non-cygwin GHC under cygwin/Win2k,
> using configure and co, worked without such problems.

Unfortunately, that isn't the problem.  I set prefix=c:/... when
invoking configure, and configure used that path in its output.

But unfortunately the Makefile.inc used to build hmake does some tricky
$(PWD) shenanigans that have nothing to do with configure, and then
passes the resulting path to ghc.  Unfortunately, $(PWD) returns
Cygwin-style paths, and I failed to find a good workaround for this in
the few minutes I spent looking at it.

Anyway, I'm relieved that HaXmL is in hslibs.

	-antony

--
Antony Courtney
Grad. Student, Dept. of Computer Science, Yale University