GPH: RE: Concurrency and Haskell

mgross@dorsai.org mgross@dorsai.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:43:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 paul@theV.net wrote:

> Speaking of GpH, I wonder how is GdH coming along? It seems
> that the installation instruction on http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~dsg/gdh/
> is still incomplete...
>
> As far as I know, Mosix has nothing to do with PVM, so am I
> right to say that GpH still needs PVM even you use it on a
> Mosix cluster? Then what will Mosix provide when you can have
> a PVM cluster without Mosix running the same thing?

GpH needs PVM. The difference between PVM and mosix is that PVM requires
the user to specify the processor on which tasks execute. I am beginning
to investigate whether or not mosix will migrate PVM tasks, and if not,
how this can be arranged. Mosix provides automatic load balancing, which
is one of our major research interests. You are correct that PVM alone can
be used for construction of a cluster; it is just that PVM clustering is
not the kind of clustering we wish to achieve. And we may not even be able
to get GpH to run on a non-shared-memory cluster. We may or may
not be able to achieve our goals, but finding out is what research is all
about, isn't it? :)

Best,

Murray Gross