UTF-8 library

David Feuer dfeuer@techhouse.org
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:54:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> One of the things that really bothers me about C is the way its
> unspecifiedness about types can "infect" other languages. For instance,
> what exactly is a Haskell Int?

I think it's the idea that's infectious, because it is a good idea.  The C
standard didn't do this for fun, but to allow programmers to find out what
integer type would be most efficient for general use.  The ideal is
probably to provide Int, Int8, Int16, Int32, Int64, Int128, Word8, Word16,
Word32, Word64, Word128.  Or something.

> Java, at least, stands firm, but then platform-independence was one of
> Java's explicit design priorities.

And all Java programs run equally slowly.