a survey of language popularity

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
02 Apr 2002 10:44:36 +0200

Richard Uhtenwoldt <ru@river.org> writes:

> Here are some Google search results that suggest how many web pages
> are devoted to particular langauges.  (Google tells you how many pages
> match your query.)  A better survey of language popularity would
> include newsgroup and mailing list traffic, but no time, no time.

I had a quick look at the Usenet statistics at www.ibiblio.org, but
unfortunately Galeon had some problems navigating around the pages.

comp.lang.perl.misc had 1624 posts per month,
comp.lang.functional had  55.

I guess Perl is rather popular, after all.

But for some reason, c.l.f is recorded with 23K readers, compared to
Perl's meagre 9500.  Perhaps that's 1624 complaints about the ugly
syntax?  Or just a tribute to the devastating wit and intellect of
functional programmers?

-kzm