Reply: Z_n in Haskell

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel@botik.ru
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:54:42 +0400

Hello,

Hal Daume III <hdaume@ISI.EDU>

oleg@pobox.com   responds with

| The Z_n problem doesn't seem to be different from the problem of
| arrays or bitvectors of a statically-checkable size.
|
| [..]
|
| Both implementations work in any Haskell-98 system. Multi-parameter
| classes, existential types or other extensions are not needed.

Also someone advised to follow up the  haskell-cafe  list archive
containing the proposal, probably, by Dylan Thurston (Spring 2001),
to exploit existential types to express the constructs
like Z/(n) - residue domain of integers modulo n.

This whole subject interests me.
After maybe a month, I am going to investigate it and answer
what precisely is wrong about the approaches mentioned.

My previous impressions are as follows

* It is hard to believe that the thing can be done in Haskell without
  existential types (properly implemented).
* Dependent types (Aldor, Cayenne) are the adequate instrument
  for the above task.
* The proposal from  haskell-cafe  (year ago) does not look
  practicable. I tried certain simple example of using it to work
  with Z/(m), and it failed.

But I hope, we will return to the subject after a month.

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel@botik.ru