RFC: GUI Library Task Force

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:13:44 +1000

Ashley Yakeley <ashley@semantic.org> wrote,

> At 2001-09-24 05:44, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
>
> > *** The GUI Library Task Force Strategy Proposal ***
>
> It's worth pointing out that I'm covering much of the same ground with my
> bridge to the Java VM.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jvm-bridge/
>
> Of course there are differences:
>
> >* Development of a GUI library API for Haskell that is
> >  portable across Haskell systems and operating/windowing
> >  systems
>
> Same.

Maybe I should point out that the effort by the GUI Task
Force is *not* meant to preempt any other GUI efforts for
Haskell.  The goal of the GUI Task Force is very limited, so
that we arrive at a workable solution quickly.  It's purpose
is merely to provide some baseline functionality that any
Haskell user can rely on having available.

The relation to other GUI projects can be as twofold:

* Simple bindings to GUI libraries (such as Gtk+HS) could
  provide the standard GUI API as one way to access the
  library.

* High-level approaches (such as FranTk & Yahu) could be
  implemented on top of the GUI API.

The combination of the two would lead to the nice situation
where we can use different high-level APIs on different
widgets sets.

Cheers,
Manuel