Prelude and (:) and []((:), []) bugs?

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:31:03 -0700

The Report quite deliberately does not allow you to write
the type constructors for built-in syntax in import or export lists.
The idea is that the types
	[Int]
and	[] Int

always mean "list of Int" regardless of what module fiddling
you have done.  So [] is not an ordinary type constructor, to=20
be imported or hidden at will.  It always means "list as defined
in the Prelude".

I'll add a paragraph to 4.1.2 to make this explicit.

Simon

|=20
|=20
|=20
| As far as I can tell, the report doesn't allow (:) or []((:),=20
| []) in the export list, yet the hugs prelude has the first=20
| and the GHC prelude has the second. Have I missed something=20
| that allows them or is this a bug in the preludes or the report?
|=20
|=20
| Thanks
| Ian