The future of Haskell discussion

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:58:28 +0200

On Friday, 14. September 2001 04:38, you wrote:
> [...]
> wxWindows is quite C++ centric and AFAIK nobody has made a
> serious effort at a C++ FFI yet.  One of the big advantages
> of GTK+ is that it was written with bindings for other
> languages in mind.  Therefore, it is probably the toolkit
> with the most language bindings.

I didn't mean that a Haskell binding to wxWindows should be made. I meant
that the strategy of wxWindows should be used also for a Haskell GUI library.
This strategy is to define a common GUI interface and provide implementations
for different platforms based on different libraries like GTK+ (for GNOME),
Qt (for KDE), Win32.
By the way a Haskell binding to wxWindows would maybe cause performance
problems just because wxWindows isn't "native" but itself uses other GUI
libraries.

Wolfgang