Application letters at the Haskell workshop: suggestion

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:10:27 +1000

brk@jenkon.com wrote,

> Thanks, that's very valuable information. It's hard to appreciate the
> relative utility (as you can see :-)) of different experimental features.
>
> It's also confusing that things like exceptions, concurrency, and FFI are
> labeled 'experimental'. They're so (IMHO) crucial that I find myself saying,
> "Okay, if exceptions are 'experimental', what other really important things
> might I be missing by not being familiar with all the experimental
> extensions?" Thanks for clearing that up somewhat.

Maybe it should be clarified that there are exceptions in
H98, but *only* in the IO monad.  What the extension is
about are exceptions in pure functions.  As for the FFI and
concurrency, I agree with you, but these are also the two
extensions of which it is very clear how to do them by now
and it is more a matter of getting all implementations in
sync.  Languages like Perl and Python don't have this
problem.  There is just one implementation and that defines
the language.

Otherwise, I can assure you, Haskell has a rather complete
feature set and is ready for serious use.

Cheers,
Manuel

[1] I know that this is not entirely true for Python, but
    the net effect is the same.