Application letters at the Haskell workshop: suggestion

Johannes Waldmann
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:22:49 +0200 (MET DST)

> ... there have been no submissions accepted in the
> `application letters' category for the Haskell workshop.

that seems strange indeed. two reasons come to mind:

a) there ARE no proper real world applications of Haskell
   (only a rather large number of so called pearls)
b) these things do exist, but their programmers
   don't have the time/energy/whatever to write a proper paper about them
   (for a "real world" conference - that is, a theory conference :-)

if a) then it is bad for Haskell as a whole,
if b) then a lot of work remains unpublished,
      and thus gets lost (or repeated)

(my view sure is biased since I somehow belong to category b) above -
my main job is to do research and teaching, not programming and documenting)
-- Johannes Waldmann ---- --
-- -- phone/fax (+49) 341 9732 204/252 --