Incoherence

John Hughes rjmh@cs.chalmers.se
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:41:58 +0200 (MET DST)

	John Hughes wrote:
	 > What we need is different binding syntax for monomorphic and polymorphic
	 > bindings. Roll on := and = ...

	If I recall correctly, in some earlier language (KRC?)
	this difference was achieved by letting let-bindings be
	polymorphic, and where-bindings be monomorphic.
	The idea was that where-bindings ONLY encode sharing,
	i.e., making the term graph structure explicit.

	I actually like that distinction....

	Wolfram

Not KRC: it had neither let nor where bindings! Each equation could be max one
line. In any case, I think this would be unfortunate: given that Haskell
permits large expressions, it would be awkward not to be able to make a
monomorphic binding except at the equation level.

john