Haskell 98 - Standard Prelude - Floating Class

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 06:57:31 -0700

An apparently-innocuous suggestion about adding default methods for
sinh and cosh led to a flood of mail.  Since no consensus emerged, I
plan to leave things as they are in the Haskell 98 Report.  Namely,=20
the following default methods for the Floating class are there:

	x**y =3D exp (log x * y)
	logBase x y =3D log x / log y
	sqrt x =3D x ** 0.5
	tan x =3D sin x / cos x
	tanh x =3D sinh x / cosh x

but there are no default methods for sinh, cosh.

If someone feels strongly that this is wrong, perhaps they could
try to form consensus among those who responded to the earlier
mail flurry (without bothering the list as a whole), and then put
forward
a proposal.  But I'm not a numerical expert, and the default method here
is definitely "no-op".

Simon