Harmful spammers

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:04:34 +0100

> There are a couple things to do that can at least cut down on spam.
>=20
> 1) Make sure that your mail gateway, or (in this case) the mailing=20
>    list host is not an open relay site.

It isn't.

> 2) Every time you get spam, locate all the hosts it came through
>    in the header.

Or alternatively just report it using Spamcop (http://spamcop.net) or
some other reporting tool.  Life is just too short to do this by hand
every time you get spam.

On the Haskell mailing list we have a good compromise at the moment: the
mailing list software's auto-filtering catches most of the spam (not
allowing Bcc's to the list is a good one), and for any spam that gets
through I just add it to the list of disallowed addresses.  I asked
recently if we should move to allowing subscriber-only posting, and I
got a small number of responses, which were split roughly 50/50 so no
action was taken.

Cheers,
	Simon