a cygwin binary package of ghc-5.00.x

Mike Thomas miketh@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 16:09:13 +1000

Hi there.

> I use normal latest cygwin installation,
> binary installation of ghc-4.08, and tell i686-pc-mingw32 to the
> configure of ghc.

Same here, except I used the standalone Mingw, which meant that I had to
alter certain parts of the makefile which relied on Cygwin links (in the gmp
library), and alter the parameters sent to GCC.

> Looks like it's impossible to build it for the full
> cygwin (but does anybody care?)

I certainly don't !

> and also I failed to --enable-win32-dlls
> (that is _it_ failed, not me :-); it stopped at something like
> Main.dll_o.

I haven't tried that option yet, as there is apparently a bug in Mingw for
large heaps when linked dynamically.

> During the build I was really scared looking at the resident sizes of
> the compiler process, which is an ordinary haskell application, with its
> most adequate application domain. Does it mean that my _real_ programs
> would expose the same?

Yeah, it's pretty big, but I guess that not all programs use as much memory
as a compiler.

Good luck.

Mike Thomas.