BAL paper available

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Wed, 16 May 2001 01:39:08 -0700

At 2001-05-16 00:18, Wojciech Moczydlowski, Jr wrote:

>> I think multiparameter type classes or other extensions to Haskell 98 are
>> really needed to solve these kinds of problems in a simple and elegant way.
>>
>> The right solution, IMHO, is to extend nhc and other Haskell compilers
>> to support multiparameter type classes, not to try to shoehorn things
>> that don't fit into Haskell 98.

>I don't like the idea of a program working which compiles only under
>compilers which have certain language extensions built in.
>
>If I understand things correctly, there is a list of language extensions
>(FFI for example), which has been accepted by all Haskell compilers
>developers. If
>multiparameter type classes were in that list, I would agree.

I tend to share Fergus Henderson's viewpoint. I see a Haskell with
multiparameter type classes as a language I want to work with, and it
would be great to have libraries written for that. I'm less interested in
Haskell 98, since it means muckier solutions to the same problems.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA