ANNOUNCE: Draft TOC of Haskell in a Nutshell

Benjamin L. Russell russell@brainlink.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:48:29 -0500

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:00:27 +0100 (MET)
 Johannes Waldmann <joe@isun.informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> This could be driven to the extreme: not only hide the
> word "monad",
> but also "functional". The title would be "Imperative
> programming in Haskell"
> (as  S. Peyton Jones says in Tackling the Awkward Squad:
> "Haskell is the world's finest imperative programming
> language").

Couldn't this choice potentially backfire, though?  For example, many people choose Java over C because they prefer OO to straight imperative programming, which they see at The Old Way.

If I went to a bookstore and saw one book entitled, "Imperative Programming in Haskell," and another entitled, "OO Programming in Java," I wouldn't buy the Haskell book, especially if had already had a bad experience with imperative programming in C.

How about, "The Post-OO Age:  Haskell:  Back to the Future in Imperative Programming"?

--Ben
--
Benjamin L. Russell
russell@brainlink.com