AW: What does "Compiled code too complex" error message of Hugs mean?

Jan Kort kort@wins.uva.nl
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:29:34 +0100

Laaser Christian wrote:

> I never built Hugs on Windows before :-( ...
> and a trial to do so with cygwin/gcc was unsuccessful.
> Have you got a precompiled binary for Win (hugs.exe) with these settings,
> which you could send me / I could download from somewhere?
>
>  Christian
>
> > -----Urspr> üngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von:  Jan Kort [SMTP:kort@wins.uva.nl]
> > Gesendet am:  Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2001 13:34
> > An:   Laaser Christian
> > Cc:   'haskell@haskell.org'
> > Betreff:      Re: What does "Compiled code too complex" error message of Hugs mean?
> >
> > Laaser Christian wrote:
> > >
> > > When loading some Haskell files with Hugs, I get the error message "Compiled code too complex". However, the compilation with GHC 4.08.1 succeeds.
> > > What does this message mean? What can I do about it?
> > >

> > You can grep for that sentence in "hugs98/src", it will point to the
> > file "machine.c". There you will see it says "if (nextLab>=NUM_FIXUPS) ...".
> > So grep for "NUM_FIXUPS" it will point to the file "prelude.h". I
> > think the default value is 400, you should increase it to 1000 or so.
> > I have it at 10000, but that's probably not necesary in your case
> > and if you increase constants too much starting up Hugs will become
> > slower.
> >
> >   Jan

You need one of:
        msc:    Microsoft Visual C++
        bcc32:  32 bit Borland C
        win32:  32 bit Borland C, Hugs for Windows
        djgpp2: DJGPP2
according to hugs98/Install, but I don't have any of them.
I use Windows for playing games mostly. Maybe NUM_FIXUPS
can be increased a little to say 1000 in the normal
distribution, I don't know how much this would slow
Hugs down ?

  Jan