Haskell Persistence

Andre Santos alms@cin.ufpe.br
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:38:04 -0300

Hi,

a paper describing what a student and I did is in
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~alms/ps/persiste.ps.gz .

The idea was to have a class supporting the persistence
operations (more in the style of serialization) and
to have specific data structures to allow
a quicker retrieval of the data ("Persistence Containers").
This is similar to what we have in some
Object Oriented Databases.

For the low level implementation we used the work on
Binary I/O work of Wallace/Runciman.
But in order to get more portability we reimplemented
parts of it using Strings/Chars for I/O,
which ended up very inneficient in Haskell.

Some things that might help are:
- better binary I/O and/or to interface with some low level
   existing persistence mechanism.
- I believe a kind of reflection mechanism would
   make things much easier and more efficient
   to implement.
   Although automatic derivation of the instances
   helps.

There are some other references in the paper.

cheers,

Andre.