Aldor, Cayenne

S.D.Mechveliani mechvel@math.botik.ru
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:45:56 +0400

To my

Alastair David Reid <reid@cs.utah.edu> writes

> You should take a look at Lennart Augustsson's Cayenne:
>
>  http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~augustss/cayenne/index.html
>

> In the fullness of time, it'd be useful to hear back from you:
>
> What parts of Cayenne (that Haskell lacks) are useful for your system?
> Which parts are a problem?
> Which parts are of no use for what you're trying to do?

First, download Aldor. It says it is coming within several weeks,
but it is also available (as commercial) from-within Axiom.
And try to program in Aldor and in Cayenne the above example with
Zmod(n),  or similar, compute something for such domain, try other
simple mathematical examples, and see, which programs
_look more natural_ and which of them fail.
Aldor has a large non-standard library - Axiom.
Probably, this can be considered as certain guarantee for Aldor
fitness. Cayenne has not such confirmation.

After I reach Aldor, I could try to provide you with examples - if
you ask of this.

Year or two ago I dealt with Cayenne. Sent a couple of questions and
notes. Then Cayenne people silenced. Probably, got tired to answer
to silly newbie's questions (there were 3-4 letters). And I quitted,
because was not able to work with this version of program. It
behaved so, that I doubted whether it is going to grow into a needed
tool.

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel@botik.ru