A GUI toolkit looking for a friend

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:32:28 +1000

luc <ltaesch@europemail.com> wrote,

> 5)anybody ever considered other toolkit, like
> -Qt ( www.trolltech.com , true multplatform, now OSS, base of KDE),
> - or the young PARAGUI (based on SDL, the OPengl gaming multiplatform
> (high performance)
> http://www.bms-austria.com/projects/paragui/screenshots.html ) ?
>
> 6) how complex, given a C++ interface, to "automate" a wrapper around
> that ? can Hdirect, do that , or others ? (note. I meant  C++, not C. )

AFAIK nobody has seriously looked into binding to C++.  Some
work has been done on Java and, in particular, Simon Peyton
Jones and Erik Meijer have proposed a modification to the
foreign import/export mechanism to support Java.

But as a matter of fact, for anything but C, you are very
much on your own right now.  (I don't mean to say that this
is good, but it is the current situation).

If you want a fully fledged toolkit like Qt, you may like to
consider GTK+, for which there is a (partial) Haskell
binding:

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/gtk/

It, too, is multiplatform, it is OSS, and the base of the
Gnome Desktop Environment (the competition of KDE if you
like[1]).

Cheers,
Manuel

[1] No KDE versus Gnome flame war here, please :-)