.net and haskell

Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:27:51 -0700

|  I was reading some .net stuff (ducks) on microsoft, and they
| mentioned haskell as one of the languages someone was
| targetting for it.
| Anyone know anything about this project?

I know of several stabs in this direction, none completed.

- There is most of a Java back end for GHC

- There are various pieces of a C# back end for GHC,
	compiling via in intermediate generic OO language
	called GOO.  Nigel Perry is working on this (actively
	I think)

- Don Syme and Reuben Thomas are working on a back end for
	GHC that compiles to a polymorphically-typed IL for .NET
	that is Don's baby.  A lot of this works, but it's not complete.

Maybe others are doing stuff too?   It's a pity that there's nothing
that's usable yet, but I hope that'll change.

Simon