LAST CALL to comment on the Applicative/Monad Proposal

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 14:09:01 UTC 2019

Somehow every time I see messages from this list I'm again tempted to
suggest that it would all be so much easier if the goal were to document
the language as it exists in a fixed, already-released version of GHC. But
I'm not a member either. If I were, I'd pick a version and veto anything
which wasn't in that GHC. You could even pick a really old version of GHC
for this purpose and come out with a document that's far more relevant to
Haskell users of today than the Haskell 2010 Report. Just getting the
Report up to the point where it actually describes most of the stuff in GHC
6 would be fantastic progress, tbh.

Also I'd strongly consider just dropping the specification of the Prelude
altogether. I'm not sure it's even all that helpful to include it at this
point, given that whatever version someone is using is always going to have
Haddock documentation. It's both a point of contention, and of limited
usefulness to document.