Quo vadis?

Mario Blažević blamario at ciktel.net
Mon Oct 8 18:53:14 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-07 11:36 PM, Gershom B wrote:
> Mario: as a non-committee member but interested observer, if you
> yourself wanted to proceed to put the report in the repo, what
> obstacles would stand in your way, and could we clear them out so you
> could take charge of that task?

My understanding is that the canonical home of the report is
https://github.com/haskell/haskell-report. Can somebody with the
knowledge confirm this? If so, I (or anybody else willing) can either:

1. submit a simple but rather large pull request that dumps the entire
source of the report into the https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/ repository,
2. use git subtree to add a fork of the report with full history to the
https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/ repository, or
3. use a Git submodule to host a fork of the report with full history.

I'm against option #3 because it would complicate the work with new
proposals, and in this situation we can't add anything that de-motivates
the potential contributors. From their perspective, options #1 and #2
are indistinguishable but #2 should be easier to merge back into the
canonical report whenever Haskell2020(+n) finally becomes official. So
#2 would be my choice.

Is anybody out there against this plan?

It's worth a mention that I would not actually merge the PR before
giving another chance to everybody to try the fork, but the plan is to
merge it into the master before we proceed with new proposal PRs. The
existing proposals, once accepted, would need to be refreshed from the
master by their authors.