Remove eq and show from num class

Mario Blazevic mblazevic at stilo.com
Fri Sep 8 07:52:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:19 AM, Anthony Clayden <
anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> I'm baffled. Is this some sort of 'in' joke at ICFP?
> Then remember the rest of the world can see this list.
>
> > All yays from committee members please reply with yes to
> this email :)
>
> If this is to the committee, shouldn't it be on the
> committee list?
> (I mean ghc-steering-committee.)
>
> Or is there some other committee? I thought the
> Haskell-prime forum and process
>  was dead/replaced by the github proposals process?

It's complementary to the GitHub repo. It seemed easier to discuss general
things via e-mail.

At risk of me sounding like a complete dork: I find it
> rather useful
> that I can compare numbers for equality and show them.
> (That is, without having to write my own instances.)

All the standard instances of Num do have instances for Eq, Ord, and other
usual classes. If you mean that you're comparing a parametric Num a => a,
you'll be disappointed when you upgrade to GHC 7.4.1:

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.4.1/docs/html/users_guide/release-7-4-1.html