Infrastructure status?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:25:43 UTC 2016

Hello!

On 2016-05-31 at 19:50:54 +0200, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> what is the status of the discussion about how we should collaborate?

> I am not picky and would be happy to use whatever tools others prefer.
> If it was left to me, I'd use: 1) a git repo on github, which contains
> the current version of the report, and various proposals, and 2) this
> e-mail list for discussion.

Coincidentally, GHC HQ is considering to revamp its process for
proposals as well, so I was holding off a bit to see what would come out
of it, as there's an understandable desire by GHC HQ to ideally share a
similiar/compatible process with the Haskell language+library committee
to make it easier to migrate proposals between the organisations. After
all, proposals starting out as GHC extension proposals are often
submitted with the agenda to re-propose them for inclusion into the
standard once they've been battle-proven.

Specifically, a variation of the Rust RFC process is being flirted with,
so that's quite similiar to what you're suggesting. While there were
concerns about GitHub being a proprietary service, I see little harm,
since there's APIs to extract/backup the relevant data from GitHub.

However, I'd strongly advise to not mix the report-git repo with the
proposals git repo, as that would result in a messy Git history.

I'd rather suggest to have 2 Git repos, to keep the concerns separate.
And I think we can just start out with such a 2nd GitHub repo and
make the process up as we go. At this point we should just get moving, as I
sense many of you want to finally start writing up proposals!

If this turns out to be a bad idea, we can just call it an instructive
failed experiment, and move the content into some other form.

If there's no objections, I suggest we create a
<https://github.com/haskell/rfcs> repository with a similiar basic
structure to <https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs> and see how far we get
with that...