Are there GHC extensions we'd like to incorporate wholesale?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:23:50 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-04 at 06:48:38 +0200, wren romano wrote:

[...]

> Speaking of which, are things like the AMP and FTP under our purview
> or are they under the CLC?

I tried to clarify in the call-for-nomination and the formation
announcement that the library part of the Haskell Report shall be
formally under the CL(i)C's purview given their experience with
designing and implementing the big AMP/FTP/MFP proposals. In fact, I'd
like to think of the (extended) Prime Committee as being composed of two
sub-committee's: CLiC & CLaC (i.e. the Core Library Committee and Core
Language Committee). This gives each sub-committee a clear focus.

Of course, there'll sometimes be interactions (like
e.g. language-extensions/features to improve backward compatibility with
Haskell2010) between the language and the library part, so CLiC & CLaC
will have to talk to each other from time to time. It's also quite
possible that CLaC members may pick-up work-items from the CLiC or
vice-versa.

I know some of you consider the "Prelude" module as being morally a part
of the "language" rather than the library. But I'm sure the CLiC will
exercise extreme caution when the holy-grail "Prelude" module happens to
require adaptations and keep everyone in the loop. Not the least because
somebody may have alternative ideas how to achieve the goal differently
worth considering.

-- hvr