Are there GHC extensions we'd like to incorporate wholesale?

Carlton Mills crmills_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 00:55:09 UTC 2016

One objective would be to compile the Haskel Platform with near zero extensions.

    On Monday, May 2, 2016 5:57 PM, John Wiegley <johnw at newartisans.com> wrote:

 I wonder if there are GHC extensions we'd like to promote as features in the
next report, as a starting point for discussing new additions.

There are a few GHC features that have become part of the regular Haskell
landscape, such that it's hard to imagine a modern Haskell without them. For
example, MultiParamTypeClasses, OverloadedStrings, GADTs, TypeFamilies, etc.

How much "work" is typically involved in promoting a feature to be in the
Report, and how do we determine when it's a bad idea?

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                         60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2