Are there GHC extensions we'd like to incorporate wholesale?

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Mon May 2 22:57:38 UTC 2016

I wonder if there are GHC extensions we'd like to promote as features in the
next report, as a starting point for discussing new additions.

There are a few GHC features that have become part of the regular Haskell
landscape, such that it's hard to imagine a modern Haskell without them. For
example, MultiParamTypeClasses, OverloadedStrings, GADTs, TypeFamilies, etc.

How much "work" is typically involved in promoting a feature to be in the
Report, and how do we determine when it's a bad idea?