Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Michał J Gajda mjgajda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:47:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

As a person who used Haskell in all three capacities (for scientific
research, for commercial purpose, and to introduce others to benefits of
pure and strongly typed programming), I must voice an supportive voice for
this change:
1. Orthogonal type classes are easier to explain.
2. Gradual improvements helps us to generalize further, and this in turn
makes education easier.
3. Gradual change that break only a little help to prevent either
stagnation (FORTRAN) and big breakage (py3k). That keeps us excited.

That would also call to split TCs into their orthogonal elements: return,
ap, bind having the basic TC on their own.

So:
+1, but only if it is possible to have compatibilty mode. I believe that
rebindable syntax should allow us to otherwise make our own prelude, if we
want such a split. Then we could test it well before it is used by the base
library.

That said, I would appreciate Haskell2010 option just like Haskell98 wad,
so that we can compile old programs without changes. Even by using some
Compat version of standard library. Would that satisfy need for stability?

PS And since all experts were beginners some time ago, I beg that we do not
call them "peripheral".
--
  Best regards
    Michał

On Monday, 5 October 2015, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com> wrote:

> On other social media forums, I am seeing educators who use Haskell as a
> vehicle for their main work, but would not consider themselves Haskell
> researchers, and certainly do not have the time to follow Haskell mailing
> lists, who are beginning to say that these kinds of annoying breakages to
> the language, affecting their research and teaching materials, are
> beginning to disincline them to continue using Haskell.  They are feeling
> like they would be

(...)

--
  Pozdrawiam