Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Mon Oct 5 09:30:01 UTC 2015

On other social media forums, I am seeing educators who use Haskell as a vehicle for their main work, but would not consider themselves Haskell researchers, and certainly do not have the time to follow Haskell mailing lists, who are beginning to say that these kinds of annoying breakages to the language, affecting their research and teaching materials, are beginning to disincline them to continue using Haskell.  They are feeling like they would be less well disposed to reviewing papers that use Haskell, and less well disposed to collaborating on writing papers that involve Haskell.

Please can the Haskell Prime Committee take into account the views of such "peripheral" users of the language, who after all, form some measure of its recent "success".  Haskell is a real-world tool for many people, and breakage of their code, and their sources of information about Haskell, is a powerful disincentive to continue with it.

Regards,
   Malcolm