Self-nomination

José Manuel Calderón Trilla jmct at jmct.cc
Mon Oct 5 01:46:27 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I would also like to nominate myself for the Haskell committee reboot.

I'm currently finishing my PhD at the University of York, just submitted
last week and going to defend in the next few months. I will be starting at
Galois later this month but cannot claim to speak for the company.

A small group of us at York have considered writing a (new) York Haskell
Compiler. One of the issues faced when considering such a project is that
many people expect more than what Haskell98 or Haskell2010 offer, but many
of those things are underspecified. The fallback of 'just do what GHC does'
defeats the purpose in our eyes. Having a modern standard would help pin
down the common extensions to Haskell2010 that people rely on while leaving
room for experimentation on the 'how'.

While most of my work has been on the implementation side of things, I am
comfortable with the theoretical aspect of language design. Having just
finished my thesis, I'm keen to start on another problem. Having a new,
up-to-date, standard is something I feel is important to the wider Haskell
community and I would love the opportunity to be involved.

Best wishes,

José Manuel