In opposition of Functor as super-class of Monad

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 01:41:10 CEST 2012

Tony, I think you misparsed the proposal.

The ...'s were for specific monads indicating the additional work required for each Monad.

I think the only real proposal on the table is the obvious one of adding Applicative as a superclass of monad.

From there there are a couple of incremental "improvements" that could be made like adding the unimplemented superclass defaults or adding the equivalent of DefaultSignatures to the language spec to reduce the burden on Monad implementors.

In practice I think either of those extensions would be premature to add to the language specification at this time.

I would be 100% behind adding the Applicative constraint as a superclass of Monad and even perhaps of some bikeshedding, like exporting Applicative from the Prelude, because otherwise you can't define a Monad without an import, while you can now.

I would be strongly against requiring superclass defaults or DefaultSignatures in the haskell standard, however. The former is a largely untested point in the design space and the latter has issues where it tightly couples classes with their dependencies, leading to unbreakable cycles between classes that all have to be defined together and poor engineering practices.

Best,
--Edward