String != [Char]

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Mon Mar 26 16:37:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:
> Can anyone explain how the tangent discussion of the finer points of
> Unicode and the value of teaching [Char] is relevant to the proposal
> under discussion? We aren't going to completely eliminate String and
> break most existing Haskell code as Simon said. String is just a list
> anyways, and lists are here to stay in Haskell.
>
> I would like to get back to working on the proposal and determining
> how Text can be added to the language.

The discussion started because of the question of whether Text should
support list processing functions at all, and if so how.  That is a
very legitimate
question related to the Text proposal, at least if you are concerned about
correct semantics.  Once you are there, the discussion about Unicode
characters is unavoidable, and is very much within the scope of discussing
Text.

I may have missed the proposal to eliminate list from Haskell, though.

-- Gaby