patch applied (haskell-prime-status): add ""Make $ left associative, like application"

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Apr 23 03:46:45 EDT 2008

> but it also seems not to make much sense to standardise
> a Prelude which people strongly want to change.

I'm strongly against this change, both on its own merits
- in most cases when there is a real argument being passed, I find
chains of $s easier to think about than your alternative -
but most importantly because it would be enormously disruptive.
It's the kind of completely unnecessary thing that simply lends
ammunition to the people that claim Haskell is an academic
language unsuited to the real world.

> Also, the Haskell 98 Prelude has already been reported on, and
> probably should continue to be supported in some way or another.

How would you propose supporting multiple preludes at once? I have
a feeling most of the pieces are in place and it's just a question
of documenting the "best practice" properly, but it needs to be done
and we need to get experience with doing it and with a gradual
migration strategy before we even consider this kind of change.

Ganesh