the dreaded offside rule

Stefan Holdermans stefan at cs.uu.nl
Thu Mar 9 02:11:25 EST 2006

Neil,

>>    1) it is impossible to explain the precise workings of the rule to
>> a class of first years undergraduates
>
> Then don't explain it to them. At York in the 3rd year Haskell course
> it is never explained in detail, I think it might be briefly mentioned
> in passing that some kind of indentation thing is used, but not
> focused on. I certainly don't have a clue what the rule is.

Well, that of course only works out well if students don't violate
the offside rule. As soon as they do (for instance, because they use
tabs instead of spaces to lay out their code), they want to know why
the compiler rejects their programs. For students that have the right
attitude, you can't just say that "it has something to do with
indentation" then, because those will want to know the details then.

Regards,

   Stefan