Module System

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Feb 23 06:09:27 EST 2006

Georg Martius wrote:

> Okay, I see the point of not including the environment into the spec. However
> other languages like Java for example do this as far as I know.

To be precise, no, the Java specs leave this to the implementation:

JLS - 7.2. host support for packages
Each host determines how packages, compilation units, and subpackages
are created and stored, and which compilation units are observable
(§7.3) in a particular compilation.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/packages.html#7.2

JVM Spec - 5.3 Creation and Loading
Typically, a class or interface will be represented using a file in a
hierarchical file system. The name of the class or interface will
usually be encoded in the pathname of the file.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/ConstantPool.doc.html#72007

Respectfully submitted,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------