Module System

Ben Rudiak-Gould Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 09:55:03 EST 2006

Simon Marlow wrote:
> there's a lack of modularity in the current
> design, such that renaming the root of a module hierarchy requires
> editing every single source file in the hierarchy.  The only good reason
> for this is the separation between language and implementation.

I don't see how this is related to implementation. Surely all the language
spec has to say is that the implementation has some unspecified way of
finding the code for a module given only its canonical name, along with (if
desired) a way of expanding a glob to a list of canonical names. Then the
module namespace reform boils down to rules for converting partial names
into canonical names. I can't see how any useful functionality in the module
system could depend on a particular way of organizing code on disk.

-- Ben