Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at
Fri Feb 3 03:40:27 EST 2006

| Some experts (like Hans Boehm) argue, that concurrency can't be added
| the language as a library.
| This is true for many imperative programming languages. Haskell seems
| to be an exception:

The interface can be a library, but (a) what libraries are available is
part of the language definition and (b) it's hard to build a good
implementation without runtime support.  And the nature of the runtime
support depends on what the library interface is.

So a programmer asks "can I write my Haskell' program using
concurrency?".  To answer that question, concurrency needs to be
specified as part of Haskell', just as (say) Integer and its operations
do.  [Of course, we can choose not to; and then Haskell' programs will
be single-threaded.]