H-core

Ben Rudiak-Gould Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 2 13:45:39 EST 2006

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> The main conceptual difference is that H-core aims merely for simpler
> expression of common syntactic constructs, whereas ghc-core aims
> for low-level optimisability.

I think the fundamental difference is that the translation to GHC core is
type-directed, while the translation to H98 core isn't. That means you can
specify typecheckHaskell as typecheckCore.desugar if you use H98 core but
not if you use GHC core, which I think is a major point in the former's
favor as far as language specification goes.

-- Ben