FDs and confluence

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 13 03:33:23 EDT 2006

| there are interesting problems in FDs, but it seems that the
confluence
| problems were merely problems of the old translation, not anything
| inherent in FDs! I really had hoped we had put that phantom to rest.

Claus

You're doing a lot of work here, which is great.  Why not write a paper?
Even for people (like me) who are relatively familiar with FDs, it's
hard to follow a long email thread.  For others, who might well be
interested, it's even harder.  The phantom is not resting yet!   (On the
other hand, email can be a good way of developing the ideas, which is
what you have been doing.)

A good way forward might be to write a paper building on our recent JFP
submission, and proposing whatever changes and improvements you have
developed.  That would make your work accessible to a much wider
audience.