[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:28:08 -0400

--lMM8JwqTlfDpEaS6

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 12:19:14PM +0200, Sven Moritz Hallberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 11:33, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > Allowing characters to span more than one column wouldn't break the
> > layout rule, as long as the character to column mapping is generally
> > agreed upon across editors and locales.  (I think we established that
> > this is not necessarily the always case, although in practice it should
> > be).
>=20
> I guess we can just refer to the Unicode standard for the mapping?

It's not part of the Unicode standard, but see

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr11/

Note that there's a special category for "East Asian ambiguous", which
could not be sensibly assigned a width.

Personally, I'd vote for making it an error to write something like

>  x =3D y where y =3D z
>              z =3D 5

and add a compatibility mode to compilers.  The Haskell standard
doesn't have a notion of "warnings", does it?

--Dylan

--lMM8JwqTlfDpEaS6

--lMM8JwqTlfDpEaS6--