[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 03:41:04 -0700

At 2002-08-26 02:33, Simon Marlow wrote:

>Allowing characters to span more than one column wouldn't break the
>layout rule, as long as the character to column mapping is generally
>agreed upon across editors and locales.

Heh. I think this is above and beyond the call of duty. AFAIK Unicode has
little to say on such things as "fixed width". How many columns do you
think characters of right-to-left scripts such as Hebrew and Arabic take
up?

At 2002-08-26 03:19, Sven Moritz Hallberg wrote:

>I guess we can just refer to the Unicode standard for the mapping?

As far as I know, no.

I recommend going for a simple rule, such as counting "Letter" (and
other) codepoints as one, and "Mark" codepoints as zero. This is "General
Category", which unicode does have tables for.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA