[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:42:14 +0000 (UTC)

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:21:40 -0700, Ashley Yakeley <ashley@semantic.org> pisze:

> I disagree, a tab is not an encoding for a run of spaces. It's an
> entirely separate kind of whitespace. I use tabs to indent my code,

Tabs are poorly suited for indenting because a tab has width 8 and
this is at least twice too much for an indent unit for a functional
language (i.e. lots of nested expressions).

OCaml usually uses the indent of 2 (it has a bit more indents than
Haskell because case alternatives etc. are delimited by |, usually
put at the left).

Tabs must have a consistent width, because otherwise mixing tabs with
spaces (which will always happen from time to time when several people
are editing the same code) has fatal consequences.

--
  __("<      Marcin Kowalczyk
  \__/     qrczak@knm.org.pl