[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:21:40 -0700

At 2002-08-24 07:00, Alastair Reid wrote:

>I don't think this discussion has any real bearing on
>internationalization and nothing at all to do with what level of
>indentation makes your code look nice.  It is only about how you
>_encode_ sequences of spaces in files.

I disagree, a tab is not an encoding for a run of spaces. It's an
entirely separate kind of whitespace. I use tabs to indent my code, and
in fact this is to me more important than the width setting. It makes it
very easy to raise and lower the indentation level and it guarantees that
the blocks line up nicely.

My indentation width is "one tab", not any number of spaces. I do
sometimes use additional single spaces, usually when I have to break a
line, but never for braced blocks.

For about 95% of my code it makes little difference what setting you make
your tabs, you'll just see the indentation rather heavily pronounced if
you set it to 8. Occasionally I have some things that line up only for
4-tabs, sorry, but it's my code and you'll just have to deal with it. It
should only be marginally annoying anyway.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA