[Haskell-community] 2018 state of Haskell survey

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 16 19:02:05 UTC 2018

| Hi Taylor. I like the way you pose things here: "I don't expect that
| to remove selection bias, but it will let me (us, really) say: We're
| doing this together for the benefit of all sides". I think that's a
| better place to start from.

I like this too -- and like Gershom, I'd delete "sides".  We aspire
to work together, not on different sides.

| earlier I've been thinking about a bit, where you wrote: "My goal is
| for this survey to be *the* authoritative Haskell survey and for the
| community to broadly accept it's results."

This sounds a bit too exclusive to me, and implicitly critical of other
work.  Better to stick to the positives: you simply want the
opinions of a broad constituency on a broad range of questions.

| Anyway, this is all a long-winded way of suggesting that it might be
| good if the purpose of the survey was explicitly set out as trying to
| inform developers of haskell libraries and tools (and educational
| materials) regarding the systems their potential users work on and
| develop, and their habits and practices in doing so, and where they
| encounter difficulty. That is explicitly as a way of learning rather
| than as any sort of horse-race or popularity contest.

That sounds good to me -- but again in drafting the goals I'd stick
to the positives, and not speak about horse-races.

Simon