[Haskell-community] 2018 state of Haskell survey

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 00:36:45 UTC 2018

Hi Taylor.

We're discussing this in the committee. I agree that to the extent
they can accurately reflect something, language surveys are useful,
and appreciate that you want to run a useful survey, and certainly
want to encourage and help you in making it as broad and useful as
possible. That said, I don't know if slapping a "haskell.org" label on
the survey will help manage the biggest drivers of selection bias --
which is not only about who chooses to respond, but about who is
reached through what mechanisms. (I don't know the relative importance
of response-bias vs. outreach-bias in general, and would be curious if
somebody has some good research on that to point to). I honestly don't
know if we have enough channels _in general_ to do a good survey, no
matter who runs it or how at all! Regardless of the decision we come
to, here are a few of my personal thoughts on the questions you have
thus far, and what could be added:

1) A question "how did you hear about this survey" -- this could at
least help to disentangle outreach-bias, or notice it, depending on if
it induces any correlations.

2) A question on how long after a new GHC release users upgrade --
both personally, and at work.

3) Distinguishing between personal and work build-systems in the
relevant question.

4) I think the sorts of questions that make sense to ask in this early
part can resemble those in the first part of the Go survey:
https://blog.golang.org/survey2017-results (I especially like the
questions about the area of development and server vs cli apps vs
libraries). I also like their questions about what environments teams
deploy programs to. It would also be worth asking if the apps
developed are customer-facing or internal.

5) I think an interesting question would be what preferred js
solution, if any, teams adopt -- i.e. ghcjs, typescript, purescript,
raw js, etc.

6)  for the "why did you stop" question, there are a good range of
potential multi-choice answers that can be drawn from with the rust
user survey: https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/09/05/Rust-2017-Survey-Results.html

Cheers,
Gershom