[Haskell-community] re. haskell.org download page, the `evil cabal`, etc.

Marco Zocca zocca.marco at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 09:15:40 UTC 2016

Dear all,

   I wish `stack` were listed and highlighted as the preferred method
of getting GHC + related tools on haskell.org .

I find the tools and infrastructure developed by FP Complete to be
robust and intuitive. This is _not_ to disparage all the good work
that went into cabal-install and Hackage. Rather, the FPCo tools have
been a net evolution.

The technical merits are undeniable, and I can see in Mr Snoyman's
remarks the concerns of a technology leader to remove all sources of
error and friction.
Even the `stack` packaged up with HP quickly becomes out of date.

In general, we are witnessing the coming of age of the language, and
the (slightly) different priorities (and modes of operation) faced by
industrial and "casual" users.

At the same time, I have a nagging wish such critical parts of Haskell
weren't under direct control of a corporation, albeit one with such a
transparent (and efficient!) open-source policy.

I wish you all a good day with the hope we'll get back soon at
discussing types rather than politics.

Kind regards,
Marco