[Haskell-community] Request for comment: New haskell.org download page

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Fri Sep 25 09:05:38 UTC 2015

Hi John,

agreed, overdoing the downloads page is certainly a risk. And the
added text does cover ground that is expanded on in the click-through
sections. My concern is that as things stand, I find it unlikely that
a new user will grok the subtleties of going for one option rather
than the other. Summarizing the trade-offs (which I think by this
point no one is disputing) right at the top should help the user
_understand how to weigh his/her options_. I think it's not a problem
if some info ends up being repeated: few users will be reading the
entire Downloads page top-to-bottom (already 5.5 screen-fulls over
here!).

Without the tradeoffs explained pithily at the top, as as new user, I
go the downloads page and I see that e.g. HP gives me plenty that I
probably want. Sounds good to me! :) The page tells me that Stack
gives me "the capacity to download and install" the same thing too,
rather than that happening out-of-the-box. That doesn't sound very
compelling. Why wouldn't I want everything just there from the get-go?
Turns out there are good reasons why at this point you probably
_don't_ want to be using the HP if you want to hack on multiple
projects at once, reason being simply that HP assumes all projects can
make do with a shared instance of the exact same versions of the
libraries and tools that it ships with, when this assumption does not
hold true in practice (again, in the future this may change).